Gallery review

Another week that seems to contain the energy to create a gallery
review!

Jeff Spirer -- End of the Line -- Looks grim. The woman looks very
nervous, and the body positioning suggests she's at the mercy of the
large standing figure.  The title suggests it's *very* grim.  However,
the fact that the photographer was allowed to be present, and to
escape with the photo, suggests it's art or modeling rather than
reportage.  I don't know why yet, but my mind *wants* to process this
as documentary, and my mind simultaneously refuses to accept it that
way.  Was *that* part of the plan?

Emily L. Ferguson -- The power of suggestion -- For me, not very
evocative.  Kind of ugly, the abandoned beach.  And what are the three
intrusive shapes in the middle distance to the right of the sand hill
and house?

Jim Davis -- Inner Mounting Flame -- Interesting story of how it came
about, but the image itself is overused stock elements for me and
doesn't manage to overcome that initial reaction.  Um, still "for
me".

Pini Vollach -- Sunset -- The sky is too bright, leading the colors
there to be desaturated.  I actually don't mind the rotation, though.

Laurenz Bobke -- Stranded? -- Striking.  The surf bursting up in spray
from the tipped boat is remarkable -- especially given how calm the
surf seems beside the boat.  Quite a lot of light falloff in the upper
corners and the sky to the left; these days I tend to think it should
be corrected.  Do you know if this is actually an accidental position?
Or perhaps deliberately done to expose something normally below the
waterline?  (Your making the title a question leads me to doubt the
immediate interpretation.)

Trevor Cunningham -- Life of a Daffodil -- Awfully stark, and the
large areas of white water seem to lack detail.  As do the darker
shadows.  Would some fill flash have been practical, maybe?

Bob Talbot -- Harwell -- Fairly nice waving flag.  The bright empty
sky seems to dominate the picture, though.

Dan Mitchell -- Still Life -- I like the colors of the back-lit
curtains playing against the wheat in the vase, and I like the
repeating curve of the chair backs, and I like the range of wood tones
from the light into the shadows, and I like the echo of the lit flower
arrangement in the unlit arrangement on the table to the left.

Kostas Papakotas and Bill Mitoglou -- the kiss -- Every time I look
at it, I see the kid trying to eat the bill of the cap.  It takes me a
while to find the face under the cap.  And then, as a kiss, it looks
unpleasant.

Jim Snarski -- Lani -- The direct frontal flash makes this very
harsh.  It also shows through the fur to the skin beneath, which you
don't usually see anything like that (at least with the cats *I* know;
I haven't met Lani myself, so I could be wrong).  He looks to be an
extremely fine beast!

Howard Leigh -- Common frog -- This is a very striking job, and I
think exhibits positively one of the aspects of small-sensor cameras,
the greater depth of field.  The background is still plenty blurred,
unlike many attempts at portraiture with such cameras.

John Palcewski -- Self Portrait -- And a mirror, I presume?  I'd
straighten it (the milling in the paneling gives such a clear vertical
reference that it's bothersome to have it tilted for me).  And I'd do
something with the hot area in your top center forhead (I've had
surprisingly good luck just airbrushing some nearby skintone over it
gently).  Other than that I like the somewhat unusual lighting, and I
like your look of concentration and focus on the camera.  When I first
looked at the gallery this week, the other picture was up, but I
didn't get to reviewing it in time :-).

Hmmm.  I seem to have been in a bit of a pissy critical mood this
week.  Apologies to anybody who thinks I'm mean!  And thanks to
everybody participating in the gallery this week, I continue to think
it's a central and important feature of this list, even if I'm not
managing to participate much myself.