RE: John's review (funeral etiquette)

Just of the shoe?  Sounds like a lost powerful image.  I suppose anybody could throw a shoe onto the sidewalk and say, "this was his."  As for the daffodil, I really do believe someone else had actually set it up.  I didn't really notice (or look) to see if this ground flower was mysteriously growing in the branches above the rock.  Neither did I notice a grouping of these flowers by the side of the creek.  But, damnit, it has such a Hallmarky appeal it makes me want to puke (I got a couple ore daffodil shots from England that fit this bill).

But you raise an interesting point, is the shot so obvious that it must be set up?  A camouflaged still life?  But, also, wouldn't that depend on the reputation of the photographer or the purpose/story of the image itself?  I was shocked to see a recent issue of Newsweek shortly after the Madrid tragedy which graphically illustrated victims of the bombing prior to removal from their place of death.  What role might ethics play in a shot like the shoe (I realise any comparisoin is a stretch)?  I personally found the photos of the people jumping from the WTC in 9/11 disgusting and opportunistic.  Yet, it used to be a common (though, I'm certain, not for public display) practice to have a final family portrait done with the deceased.  Nowadays, behavior like that could make a funeral a double event.  Really, I question whether my family would be more offended if I whipped out a digital or a SLR at the next funeral and started clickin'.

Trevor Cunningham, Life of a Daffodil. Ed Hart, my former editor at UPI/New
York, told the story of an accident right in front of the Daily News
building. A nine-year-old boy got hit by an out-of-control taxi, and the
impact threw his shoe onto the sidewalk. Ed took a shot of the shoe, but
then decided not to run it because it looked so much like a setup, even
though it wasn't.

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham

Do you Yahoo!?