RE: 6x7 medium format vs digital SLR

Big enlargements from digital cameras are not grainy, just not showing
detail that would be present in a print from a 6x7 neg.  That is if you
print with a high quality enlarger rather than scanning.  Scanning gives
similar results as digital cameras if the resolution is not high enough.

Another problem with older digital cameras is that the file output is a jpeg
file and big enlargements show artefacts caused by the compression.

Overall, I would say that if you want a good 40x50 inch print, use a 5x4
inch large format camera and preferably a technical camera.  These are no
more expensive than a good 35mm SLR and because of the attention to detail
the operator has to give to each exposure it is likely the results will be
very superior to a 35mm neg printed to the same large size.

If you are doing regular 40x50 inch prints then in choosing between MF and
LF, the LF  will make an exquisite print.  However it is quite cumbersome to
use on location but a foldaway version will pack into a fairly normal
photographers carry bag.

Some people lug them up mountains and take 15 minutes or more over one
exposure.

The film is bought in a pack for about $30, but I have forgotten how many in
the pack.  10 or 20 I would think and then there is the processing cost.

Chris
http://www.chrisspages.co.uk