Re: Varnishing hand-colored photographs

> I thought someone on this list may be able to help me out.
>
> I am varnishing 16 X 20 handcolored photographs and haven't found a way to
> eliminate air bubbles.   I've used several kinds of brushes - including
> brushes with natural and synthetic bristles, foam (the worst) and hake
> brushes.
>
> I've also used Duolac varnish and a water based, clear gloss varnish to
see
> if a different product would make a difference.

Hi Marylin, the trick to brushing on varnish is to draw long strokes very
*slowly*  .  The faster you drag the brush, the more chance of bubbles.
Water based varnishes tend to bubble more, especially when you vary the
pressure in your strokes.

Almost any brush can be used and you may find a high quality small house
paint brush of natural hair will be eaven easier than some of the brushes
you've described

good luck!