Re: Article and Commentary

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sidney Flack" <sgflack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Article

> PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > ...But the old method also produced lost images like during
> > D-day when the still film of Cappa was lost when the soldier carrying it
> > was shot.....

You have your stories mixed up.  Cappa's film was ruined in the lab.  The
most of the photographers film was lost by an accident when a duffle bag
dropped into the ocean.

> Hey Roy,
>
> It's interesting to me that nobody has pointed out that cause of the
> loss of at least Cappa's images would have also caused the loss of
> current digital media and nothing to do with his being film.

It had everything to do with it being film, Sidney.  It was in the
processing of his film that ruined the pictures.

> Of course, many combat photogs today also carry sat-phones and might be
> able to transfer their files digitally from the field of fire

Yes.  Today is a completely different animal.

>provided
> their are allowed to so communicate.  Is it possible for enemies recon
> to lock onto such a transmission and target it?

Interesting: The enemy has NOTHING the likes of what we have to track
transmissions.
During the Iran, Iraq war, they leased that from us.  Why did we do it?  To
get the Intelligence for ourselves.  What we got was knowledge the 1) they
didn't have the technology and 2) what it was they were interested in.  For
all we know, the intelligence we sold them was doctored . . . digitally
doctored.  :)  Nawww, can't really do that, right?

>That would be one thing
> you can't do with film that you can with digital.
>
> Regarding back up, all I have to do with my films is mark them and then
> store them in archival envelops.  No back up necessary.
>
> And yes, photography is expensive regardless the recording media.  I
> just ordered a new Kodak Readyload holder from my local store for $107
> and three boxes of readyload film at 47 each.  That's 2.35 a sheet.

I had a bery brief conversation with the IRS agent over my tax claim.
Making 8X10 pictures, at $4 for one piece of film, one picture, and $5.75
for processing, she couldn't understand why she pays only $7.95 a Longs.
Then I told her what an 8X10 camera was.  End of argument.

> Peace!
> Sidney

Echo!

Steve Shapiro