Re: Where is the original? Was: RE: Value of the Original; Guidelines for pricing

Emily L. Ferguson wrote:
At 1:46 PM +0100 6/2/04, Chris wrote:

It cannot be seen. You can't hang a digital original!

I dunno. I capture at JPEG fine, and those can be printed. If I ever werent' shooting something happening, I might try RAW and then I'd find out whether a RAW file can be printed.

This is no comment to Emily specifically but to the entire question.

This thread has little more value than debating the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin. While the original of any photograph may have value, sic, the negative, chrome, or digital file, it is of no value until it is interpreted into a fine print.

Take the concept back to the classic parallel. A Mozart original score is of great value. But it has value as having come from his pen only because of the many performances of his work. Each performance also has nuance and expression different from every other though the score from which each is performed is a copy of the original.... copies of copies. But that original would be of little value without each of those performances.

Our photographs are no different. The original negative, chrome or digital file is worthless without fine, quality prints, performances that can be hung upon a wall or held in the hands and be appreciated as a thing of value for its particular artistic expression.

Peace!
Sidney