From: <lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2004 8:15 AM
Subject: RE: Guidelines for galleries

> Marilyn,
>
> There are wide differences in the way art is presented in different types
of galleries.  A principle variable
> is sales.  A simple distinction is: boutique art or salon art.  The first
is like any commodity and must
> conform to a wide variety of tastes. The salon focuses on exhibiting in a
rather formal setting with narrower
> choices of  presentation styles.  Sales are not dependant on walk-in
clients.   Both types of galleries have
> art stored in flats or "bin art"  that is simply matted.
>
> The main requirement regarding contractual issues is that there must be
signed documents that indicate the
> delivery of work and agreed commissions and prices.  Prices vary widely
and depend on the local market. The
> only way to judge is by going to a lot of galleries in your area.  BTW It
is common for the artist to loose out
> in these arrangements.  Payments are only made to the artist after the
customer pays the gallery. There may not
> be insurance coverage. The gallery should disclose their responsibility to
the artist's work i.e. reasionable
> care but no "we break it or loose it - we buy it" responsibility.  If
there are feature exhibits the gallery
> should produce and handle mailings and press releases for the artists.
The gallery might also produce binders
> for each artist that include artist statements, tear sheets from reviews
or advertising, and resumes.

> There are a variety of gallery organizational schemes.  Co-operative
boutique galleries seem to be most common
> and successful.  I can describe them in more detail if you like. How well
they prosper is the same as for any
> banana stand   Private salon galleries seldom succeed because they require
highly aggressive sales and
> marketing that many artists can not or do not wish to do.
>
> If you give me your PO address I'll send you a packet of stuff from our
co-op.  You can find out more here: