RE: Guidelines for galleries

Marilyn,

There are wide differences in the way art is presented in different types of galleries.  A principle variable
is sales.  A simple distinction is: boutique art or salon art.  The first is like any commodity and must
conform to a wide variety of tastes. The salon focuses on exhibiting in a rather formal setting with narrower
choices of  presentation styles.  Sales are not dependant on walk-in clients.   Both types of galleries have
art stored in flats or "bin art"  that is simply matted.

The main requirement regarding contractual issues is that there must be signed documents that indicate the
delivery of work and agreed commissions and prices.  Prices vary widely and depend on the local market. The
only way to judge is by going to a lot of galleries in your area.  BTW It is common for the artist to loose out
in these arrangements.  Payments are only made to the artist after the customer pays the gallery. There may not
be insurance coverage. The gallery should disclose their responsibility to the artist's work i.e. reasionable
care but no "we break it or loose it - we buy it" responsibility.  If there are feature exhibits the gallery
should produce and handle mailings and press releases for the artists.  The gallery might also produce binders
for each artist that include artist statements, tear sheets from reviews or advertising, and resumes.

There are a variety of gallery organizational schemes.  Co-operative boutique galleries seem to be most common
and successful.  I can describe them in more detail if you like. How well they prosper is the same as for any
banana stand   Private salon galleries seldom succeed because they require highly aggressive sales and
marketing that many artists can not or do not wish to do.

If you give me your PO address I'll send you a packet of stuff from our co-op.  You can find out more here:
http://www.gfn.org/buckham

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed.