Late Review of Gallery: 2004-05-08

Work formerly on display
  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

Not quite so hot a gallery as last week: indeed, is that just the time
of year but little interest in reviews either ...

D.L. Shipman - Nocturnal visitor
A high key shot of a spider:
Lots of depth of field - actually for me almost too much as there are
no depth-clues.
The head looks blown out: flash?
I feel I need more to make a picture, some background or the web?

Dan Mitchell - The discussion
A street shot but not one that does anything for me.
Sure, it's uncluttered, but what is the story / wider context?

jIMMY Harris - Night Rodeo
This is a very acceptable photograph: the blurriness of the riders
adds a mystery to a scene of an event I have absolutely no empathy
with.  Rodeo?  'Bout as understandable as train spotting for a
spectator sport.  Lovely well-executed/presented shot of a subject I'm
not interested in ...

Guy Glorieux - Montreal, Silo 5 in Old Harbour
Yes, it has a genuinely old feel about it.
The car gives it away - perhaps too the white plastic (?) gazebo.
Nice image.

Christopher Strevens - Tram near West Croyden
Lovely.
At last a "bug*ered about" image from Chris I can truly enthuse about.
Am I really looking at a photo or a pixel painting though?  It says
"hand coloured" yet is seems very very little of the original photo
remains.

I really would like to see a procession of how this was done:
the original photo
the reduced version before hand colouring
some explanation of how - what digital tools / actions were involved.
Are the hard black lines also drawn on or are they the  result of some
filter?

It really is more a piece of art than a mere photograph -
If it is all automatic then at last the filters have produced
something that looks man made.
To me I can see human intervention / choice in the finished product.

Well done Chris (at last).  Now just tell us how.

Andrew Davidhazy -
Another competant/interseting entry from the worlds premier technical
dabbler ;o)

I do have a complaint about the cropping ;o)

The graininess is attractive: the hard black lines don't work - maybe
Chris could colour it in for you.

B0b