PTC: Raphael/Leonardo

Janine C. Hanson wrote:
"Hello Marilyn...  I had an image from Leonardo (that wasn't fogged)
" and  will give permission for a print show.  I believe Guy
"Glorieux may still have the CD of the negative scans?  I only have
" a low res e-mailed copy of my shot that Guy sent me.
"Thanks for your efforts!

Answers Guy:

Hi Jeanine, Marylin and other PTC participants,
I've been reading this thread through the Digest and was wondering when to get my voice in.

Leonardo was sent out as a replacement to replace Raphael.  It was the 4th PTC camera and as Betsy got lost in the Jan Faul black hole.

The Leonardo camera did not run as smoothly as Betsy's replacement sent out by Rob Miracle.
It proved impossible to put the original team together. Bobbie Blazy decided to not participate; several Raphael members felt that a replacement camera  was not consistent with the PTC "rules" and we lost track of some of Raphael participants.
On the other hand, new participants joined in and Leonardo was able to go full circle around the earth.  The camera left Montreal on June 10, 2002 and was scheduled to be back for processing and scanning on November 19!

Because of delays in camera movement, it was not back and processed until February 13, 2003. Half of the negatives were fogged beyond recovery because of some unidentified cause with the pattern of fogging best described as "randomly periodic".

Glorieux: Fogged
Masson: Fogged
Eichhorn: OK
Spirer: OK
Pachine: Usable
Ylvisaker: Usable
Coveyou: OK
Hall: Fogged
Wilkinson: OK
Flory: OK
Flack: Fogged
Hanson: OK
Buttstead: Traces
Page: OK
Buquet: Fogged
Zinn: OK
Davidhazy: Traces
Idackzuck: Fogged
Roberts: OK
Chen: Usable
Comtois: OK

Despite every effort to understand what had happened, fogging could not be linked to a processing error or to cross-border movements and X-ray fogging.

Ultimately, because of the amount of fogging, it was decided to not post the pictures.  This is something that can be reassessed, of course, if participants wished it.

I have all the Leonardo documents in file here in Montreal:(camera/negatives/contact sheet/best print/CD scan/accompanying documents/addresses, both snail and email in print form).  This material is at your disposal for exhibition, provided that it is returned to me as the person owning the material (but not the copyright, which remains with the photographer).

Best regards,

Guy

P.S.  I initiated a similar project with a pinhole camera around the same time period.  The camera was set up such that individual images would blend one into the other.

The results can be seen at http://www3.sympatico.ca/guy.glorieux/flyingpinhole.htm

A digital enlargement/print has been made of the original 2.25 x 33" color negative to produce a 10" x 10' Giclee print which was recently shown at the Minneapolis Center for Photography on the occasion of a pinhole exhibition.