Re: Ilford HP5 Plus development

Hi Trevor,
I have an Ilford HP5+ tech pamphlet with a temperature conversion chart. The chart is supposed to be accurate with any developer you choose. Unfortunately the chart is in degrees F and I don't know what 24 degrees C in equal to in degrees F. (Dumb American.)

Assuming you have exposed your films at EI 400 your normal time/temp is indeed correct at 6 1/2 mins at 20 degrees C (which is 68 degrees F.) developed with Kodak T-Max 1-4.

Hopefully the data you need is below:
70 degrees F=== 6 min.
72 degrees F=== 5 1/2 min.
74 degrees F=== 5 min.
75 degrees F=== 4 1/2 min

Developing for a shorter time than 5 mins is not recommended as it may give you uneven development.

A better solution would be to bring down the temps of your developer, stop bath and fixer to 20 degrees C by using a tray of cold water (ice cubes) before you process and then using a another tray as a 20 degree C water bath for your tank while you develop. Your wash water temp can be a little higher but lower than 80 degrees F.

Walter