Re: PF Exhibits on 04-17-04 review

At 10:03 AM -0400 4/17/04, ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated 17 APR. 04. Authors
with work now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

jIMMY Harris - Astors

Interesting. How did that one on the bottom get to be so bright? Light seems to be coming from two opposite directions.... I like the palette a whole lot. If only asters weren't such a plaguey garden weed here!

Jeff Spirer - Man and Billboard

Not sure why you left that contrasting stripe down the left side. I think it would have been a lot more ironic if you'd waited 'til the head got just between the knees (but then there would have been no contrast with the top of the head, I know) and gotten in closer to the totally disconnected-from-the-billboard expression on his face.

Kostas Papakotas - the Big Patoza

it's a report, but the sky's just too bright and makes the rustyness get lost. The angle is pretty good for those power shot type things.

Greg Fraser - Omega

But is it a photograph!? I think it needs a gradient towards the Omega which makes more of a tunnel effect.

Christopher Strevens - A Street in Vauxhall

You're approaching a useful illustration now, Chris. Some things in this are even rather nice and show a lot more attention than just shoving one of Photoshop's artsy filters on a piece. Those filters are hard to use. One really needs to know artists' tools to use them.

Jim Davis - Bird Watching

Pretty wonderful, sorry you couldn't get any light onto his face.

Rubin F. Diehl - Swing

alabaster and terribly flat skin tones, really ugly to me - looks like plaster. She doesn't look very relaxed and I can't imagine why she'd be sitting on a swing with nothing on her bum to protect from splinters. In addition, she doesn't look like she's having the slightest bit of fun. In fact she looks like she's clinging for dear life to the one swing rope I can see. I don't even perceive any sensual lines in the body brought out by the lighting. Even the back is so badly extended that the breasts are completely unnaturally flattened.

gotta be a better way.

John Warner - Fowey, March morning

Being of nautical persuasion myself this image makes me feel very comfortable and happy. The red workboats are a great touch, although perhaps a tiny amount of foreground water could have been cropped off. I love the stuccoed row houses behind too.

Thanks, as always, to Andy and staff.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822