Re: JPEG vs GIF vs PNG

Bob Talbot said unto the world upon 08/04/2004 02:12:

What PowerPoint does to your jpegs is a matter between you and

Microsoft,

but neither GIF nor PNG is (in general) suitable for photographs at

all.

Brian

Well said!

<SNIP>

Jerry

<SNIP>

If you want to avoid "generational losses" (inherent in saving and
resaving jpegs) the most appropriate format in a Microshaft
environment is *.BMP which for some reason M$ supports fully ....

Bob

Jerry,

you might also take a look at OpenOffice.org (http://www.openoffice.org/). It is an opensource office suite, at the moment more or less equivalent to what MS Office was like a generation or two back. I've not used the Presentation component, but it will save to PowerPoint format if that is important. I don't know if it would solve your problem, but it might be worth trying to save and edit a quick test file with a .jpg in the native OOo format and see if the problem goes away. It wouldn't surprise me if the data structure is smart enough to store the .jpg separately and save it only when it was explicitly changed. But I'm only guessing.

Be warned though -- it is a pretty big download. 65'ish MB for the Windows version. But freedom from the paperclip is worth it all by itself ;-)

HTH

Brian vdB