JPEG vs GIF vs PNG

Hello all;

I produce training presentations in Microsoft PowerPoint and have just
noticed that my photos in the presentations are not as sharp as when
they were originally inserted.  Since I use JPEGs to reduce file size,
and edit the presentations on a continuos basis, apparently every time I
save the presentation, I am also saving the JPEGs and detail is lost.
Do any of you know if my analysis is correct?  Anytime a PowerPoint
presentation is saved each JPEG in the presentation will lose some
pixels?

If I find that I will need to turn to a 'non-lossy' format, is the
recommendation to go to GIF, PNG, or some other format?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.