Re: JPEG vs GIF vs PNG

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 11:08:34 -0700
Jerry McCown <jerry.mccown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello all;
>
> I produce training presentations in Microsoft PowerPoint and have just
> noticed that my photos in the presentations are not as sharp as when
> they were originally inserted.  Since I use JPEGs to reduce file size,
> and edit the presentations on a continuos basis, apparently every time I
> save the presentation, I am also saving the JPEGs and detail is lost.
> Do any of you know if my analysis is correct?  Anytime a PowerPoint
> presentation is saved each JPEG in the presentation will lose some
> pixels?
>
> If I find that I will need to turn to a 'non-lossy' format, is the
> recommendation to go to GIF, PNG, or some other format?

What PowerPoint does to your jpegs is a matter between you and Microsoft,
but neither GIF nor PNG is (in general) suitable for photographs at all.

If editing the PP file means that the images get decompressed and
recompressed (without any image changes at all) then you would expect a
very small loss of quality with each recompression; but no sensible
software would keep recompressing the image files in that way. You could
try reinserting the original image at the end only.

Brian Chandler
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan
http://imaginatorium.org/shop/
imaginatorium@xxxxxxxxxxxxx