Re: Miscellaneous Gallery ramblings and butchery

Rich Mason <cameratraveler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>               Jim Davis - Mating Flush
>Ardea herodias?  Are you sure?  I didn't think they made it to Japan,
>or was this photographed elsewhere?  Perhaps it's a Gray Heron, Ardea
>cinerea?

Good question about the type of heron, you may be right. It does look
more a Gray than a Blue. I have seen both types here, and mixes
thereof. Some individuals can be difficult to positively identify too.
This one looks more Gray on its head, but I've also noticed many
people refer to these as Blue Herons. The body seems to be where the
birds are tougher to identify. Some here are defintiely Great Blues
though, and some show mixtures of both. And some are most definitely
Grays.

It's actually a Segi. Yes, Japanese for this bird :-)

--
Jim Davis
Nature Photography