Miscellaneous Gallery ramblings and butchery

My review of photos at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html. I singled out Ofverbeck, Vollach, Vissak and Lidaka for some cropping and alterations which I put up here: http://richmason.com/PFgallery/pf.html

Per Ofverbeck - Copenhagen Library
A beautiful library. In this view I'm a little put off by the clutter at the top of the frame and by the sign left of the circle. See some suggested crops at the link above.

Are you able to return here for further exploration?

Dan Mitchell - Denver Reading Room
Quirky, indeed! I love the way the windows are the same size yet rest on different planes. Thank you for bringing us this slice of village life.

I did a crop to show my favorite part of the picture, though it defeats the purpose of showing the reading room as a cultural artifact. I like the way the simple shapes are accentuated. I would probably crop a little more off the bottom of my crop to keep the shape of the hillock simpler too.

Achal Pashine - Fashion show Model
I'll admit portraiture is not my area of expertise, but this seems a tad washed out. How was the lighting done? Nice soft lighting, yet there is a bit of sharp shadow on the background--on the side which it would seem the main light should have blown out any shadows.

Pini Vollach - Gazebo
A tranquil scene--I would like to sit there for a while. Nice low light. Good composition.

Too much distortion in that lens. Whatever it is, it wasn't designed for architectural work. I did a partial correction of the parallax problem (see the link), but the barrel distortion needs correcting too. Also, the upper-left and lower-right corners have intrusions--parallax correction took them away..

Jim Davis - Mating Flush
Ardea herodias? Are you sure? I didn't think they made it to Japan, or was this photographed elsewhere? Perhaps it's a Gray Heron, Ardea cinerea?

"Watch the birdie!" Somehow the Bob Hope movie where he was a baby photographer comes to mind.

Peeter Vissak - Annection
I don't understand the title, but I like the picture. Nice grab, and great that it was made so near last week's thirsty dog image.

I did a square crop which I think really brings out the graphic appeal of this picture (see link). I don't think keeping more of the tire in the frame helps, graphically or in terms of information.

Jeff Spirer - Illusion Illusion of......what?

I like the warm tonality. Not sure I like the way the light splits the one boy's head. Was there a purpose to that, or was it serendipitous?

Tell us, and show us, more of this place, your experience. What brought you there?

Trevor Cunningham - Minarets and Mirrors ala Aschal
"I thought that the image on the mirror would have the same focal length as the mirror itself. However, if I brought the mirror into focus, I lost the minarets, and vice versa...I decided that the minarets were more important. I'm not a physics man myself, but could someone explain this to me?"

Fairly simple, though not scientific--when focusing on the minaret here you are focusing the distance from mirrors to minaret, plus the distance from camera position to mirrors. You could have stopped way down, chosen the correct hyperfocal setting and gotten the mirrors sharper, but I don't think that would have helped make this nice picture any better. Well seen.

WRGill - Strip Mall, 03.31.04
Strip mall? A comment on our seemingly endless human need to develop every available inch of space? Imagine how pleasant this spot must have been before the encroachment of Man.

I like the interplay of shapes here--the beach and water having mirrored shapes, the triangles in the sky and the triangle of the "mall". The composition works very well. Probably the best picture you've posted to the Gallery so far.

jIMMY Harris - Barrels
Close, but... I might have cropped it from the top to just over the fence line to take some of the strength away from the colorful and cluttered background. It would also have been nice to see the mother's worried (?) expression as the daughter did her first solo, as well as the girl's look of concentration (or whatever her mood). In other words: photographed from the other direction.

Christopher Strevens - New life
Mixed feelings on this one. I wish the part that is in focus were a little sharper, that might help. A bit more work on the interplay of lines with the background trees might have helped too.

I hope you and your mum get feeling better. My mother is under the weather as well, so I can relate somewhat.

Maris V. Lidaka, Sr. - Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier
Seems I've seen this one before, or one eerily similar. It still leaves me confused, though there is a lot of graphic potential here. I like it better in monochrome.

See a crop and rotation at the above link.

That's all,

Cheers,

Rich

"I'm no good in the morning until I've had that first hot piping pot of coffee! Oh, I've tried other enemas..."
--Emo Phillips
http://richmason.com