Re: Exhibits 03-27-04 revised

Peeter Vissak <pv@xxxxxx> writes:

>>DAVID:
>>Peeter Vissak -- 6 o'clock drink -- Interesting exposure problem, >to begin with.  Certainly you *must* preserve the detail and >delicate colors in the sky.  I find that in this rendering the >dog's face is enough too dark that I'm bothered by not seeing >eyes.
>
> David,
>
> Thanks for Your standpoint!
>
> I like to describe such light conditions, that somebody is pouring
> viscous darkness over the land (at this time of day it reminds me
> the light theories by Terry Pratchett :o).  I've tried those gradual
> things in medium format, but the hue and saturation go out of order
> anyway.  It's better to catch the shades and darkness and junipers
> give lots of opportunities to emphasize black darkness.  I was not
> bothering much about the dog's face, because I had to worry about
> the water and the licking resonance. Its obvious anyway that he's
> drinking, isn't it!

I like that image, and it does fit your photo, too.  (And I've liked
Terry Pratchett books quite a few times, too).

It is indeed obvious the dog is drinking.

Maybe I'd have tried *darkening* that are of the photo slightly; that
might be another way to resolve my problem (make it obvious I wasn't
*going* to see eyes).

I haven't saved a copy and actually played around with your photo, so
these are just random neuron firings, things I'd think about trying,
without the constraint of seeing what actually happens when I do.

>>I like the shapes of the pools of water, and the sky they're
>>reflecting makes them stand out very nicely.  Bringing up the
>>foreground exposure might change the tone of the photo to something
>>completely different and not as interesting, and I guess a
>>graduated neutral >density might have left the reflections brighter
>>than the sky, which would never do.
>
> Exactly!
>
> Our spring is very harsh in its lights and colours. Lots of contrast
> and very thin air.

I think of spring as a harshly lit season myself.  Especially while
the snow is melting, so the ground is always wet everywhere.
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Photos: <dd-b.lighthunters.net>  Snapshots: <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>