Re: Exhibits 03-27-04 revised

>DAVID:
>Peeter Vissak -- 6 o'clock drink -- Interesting exposure problem, >to begin with.  Certainly you *must* preserve the detail and >delicate colors in the sky.  I find that in this rendering the >dog's face is enough too dark that I'm bothered by not seeing >eyes.

David,

Thanks for Your standpoint!

I like to describe such light conditions, that somebody is pouring viscous darkness over the land (at this time of day it reminds me the light theories by Terry Pratchett :o).
I've tried those gradual things in medium format, but the hue and saturation go out of order anyway.
It's better to catch the shades and darkness and junipers give lots of opportunities to emphasize black darkness.
I was not bothering much about the dog's face, because I had to worry about the water and the licking resonance. Its obvious anyway that he's drinking, isn't it!

>I like the
>shapes of the pools of water, and the sky they're reflecting makes
>them stand out very nicely.  Bringing up the foreground exposure >might change the tone of the photo to something completely >different and not as interesting, and I guess a graduated neutral >density might have left the reflections brighter than the sky, >which would never do.

Exactly!

Our spring is very harsh in its lights and colours. Lots of contrast and very thin air.

> CHRIS:
>Nicely caught.  The sky is quite dark.  You must be quite >southerly because
>at 6 it is surely night at high latitudes until summer...

Chris,

Thanks!
But You must be kidding!
We here live in the twilight zone.
It was sometimes in January when it got dark at 4 or 5. And the famous 'kaamos' tried to squeeze people.
Now the first light is coming up about 5 in the morning (even earlier) and it's even quite OK to drive without lights at 7:30 in the evening (not allowed of course).
And pretty soon it will not get dark at all (in the midsummer day/night it practically is dark about 45 min).
You may always come and check it over ;o)

Peeter

Hot Mobiil - helinad, logod ja piltsõnumid!
http://portal.hot.ee