List Gallery comments

While I have been a member, and sometimes contributor, for a long time, this is my first critique. In part, this is due to the way I view photos. I know all the rules, having been an art major specializing in photography and working as a pro for over 30 years, but I prefer to not let them get in the way, Thus, all my reviews are highly subjective and based on the emotional aspect of a photo not the technical. I always thought who cares what I think? Now, I think who cares who cares? Confused?

John Mason - Wonderful photograph! I love the feel and the look. B&W is still the most powerful method of presenting mood for me and this works. Personally, I would have cropped a little more off the right side to focus the impact.

Dan Mitchell - This is the type of photo that has kept me from commenting many times in the past. For me, it's a snapshot. Nothing much is said about the locale, the people etc. and there is not a great display of technical mastery. I think Dan is quite capable of that but hasn't' done it here. Some interesting angles but not enough to float my boat.

Peter Visaak - Now I like this photo because is is moody. Nice presentation of early morning ambiance. I did have to strain to see if that was a dog or a sheep or what but that wasn't that important. Might gain by some top and bottom cropping but still has impact.

Pini Vollach - This photo bothers me. It seems there was a lot of potential there that wasn't exploited. I don't like the overly processed soft look to most of the photo. I find the bright pallet in the lower right to be distracting and anomalous to the overall rustic feel. Worth exploring further but I would stress the foreground saw blade, recompose and crop.

WRGill - I plead guilty here to never liking artificial colored skies and scenery. I assume it was added color anyway. If this is straight you have a wonderful scene. Adding the moon helps the shot but all in all it looks like a Bryce scene which may be what the intention was. It doesn't work for me. Sorry.

Christopher Strevens - Chris likes to try new things in PS and that is fine. I like the colors here and some of the effect but it needs to be refined. The chicken scratching in the sky bother me a lot. I am not sure I can relate the scene and the treatment but that may be just me.

Jim Davis - I like this. I has the oriental print feeling which wouldn't be surprising with Jim. Elegant simplicity with a difficult subject and lighting. The comment about white birds not always appearing white echoes thoughts I have expressed before here about snow.

Bob Talbot _ Extremely nice. I would have thought it was a mirrored image if not for the catch lights in the eyes being on the left side in both eyes. Very engaging and imaginative. What was the minor adjustment? Sorry if I missed that explanation earlier.

Andrew Davidhazy - Andy always influence lives with his work and his personality. Prime example here. Very competent portrait but we would expect no less. The story here is of more interest. Thanks for sharing.

The Photoforum gallery can be found at: http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

  Don Roberts * Bittersweet Productions * Iowa City, IA
 And the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty,
 but is it Art?".   --  Rudyard Kipling