Knoppix and DSL connection? Help!

Dear knowledgeable colleagues!

I had some mumble-jumble with my Win XP, regarding internet and LAN and I decided to try the Knoppix standalone CD-distro to test if my Ethernet cards work correctly.
well, having been a MacMan, DOSsist and Windower for a long time I am a devastating newbie in the Linux world.

Could anyone tell me step by step what should I do, when my Knoppix is up and working and I want to:
1) get a DSL connection;
2) define a small LAN (2 PC-s with a cable between network cards).

BTW, I suspect the right way myself, but it didn't work.
That's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance!

Peeter

Hot Mobiil - helinad, logod ja piltsõnumid!
http://portal.hot.ee