Re: Simple noise reduction - SGBNR tips

having the benefit of a preview, I can reply promptly ;-)
----- Original Message -----
From: <kpp@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2004 8:51 PM
Subject: Re: Simple noise reduction - SGBNR tips

> well i personnaly find Meatimage too simple and less flexible.
> indeed in order to get the proper idea of how SGBNR works, requires a lot
of tries twinking each parameter individually then observing the result in
preview each time, but my efforts were paid back wiht gain

I've been toying with SGBNR since mid 2002 and it is an extraordinary
program, capable of some magnificent results for those who can dedicate the
time and are prepared to spend ages on a single image, especially when that
image  *must*  be rendered well.  However, neatimage is also tweakable and
can produce some astonishing results with a lot less effort, and in far less
time - an important factor for photographers given that the work to be done
can be batched up and left to work away at a later time.

> Also i have noticed that for the same amount of grain reduction, neat
gives a bit softier image.

I have to agree, but for digicam images it's far better than for scanned
images.

> on the other hand i had a very good luck of polishing up (for magazinbe
use !) an already SGBNR corrected a photo with Neat and in the default
settings too, so at least for color photos i will be resorting to a combo
package

wise man.  sometimes two tools are needed for the job, sometimes one.