Traditional B&W & C41 Digital Printing Comparison

hi all!

Just yesterday I got 2 enlargements of a photo that will be a gift to a friend.

One is a regular 35mm B&W  8x12 inch enlargement, made for me by a lab, and I believe that standard grade KODAK chemicals and paper (unmarked), were used.
B&W Print 72.jpg
http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography/files1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=596

The other one is a similar C41 print on Fuji Crystal Clear Achive Paper. It was made by scanning the whole negative to the final & desired size with my Epson 1660 Photo scanner at 300dpi, then levels adjusted in PS and as far as I recall no further sharpening was performed other than the scanner's applied unsharp mask. Also, the levels adjustment mimicked the tones of an older B&W (enlarger) print I had, so by and large, both prints are roughly the same..
C41 Print 72.jpg
http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography/files1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=597

(both comparison pics are flatbed scanned exactly the same way, by the beforementioned scanner, and are 300% enlarged portions of the actual prints - then converted to quality 9 jpegs)

and here is a link to an intermediate version of the photo
Levels 72.jpg
http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography/files1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=599

Initially I intented to go for the scanned version only, but during levels adjustment I noticed I had lost the mast lines detail (see 1), which I unjustly blamed the scanner for. In fact I patched up the offended portion by pasting a similar uncorrected area on top, and adding some motion blur to the lines.
Frustated I decided to make the traditional print also, and upon receipt I made comparisons...& the difference are obvious even to the unassisted eye.

Now why do I think that the Scanl/C41printing combo wins again?

more pics links below, kostas
Original Scan 72.jpg
http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography/files1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=600
Levels + SGBNR 72.jpg
http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography/files1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=598
so... no matter what, CHEER UP MY FRIENDS! Life is too precious to jump the other side of the fence...
kostas papakotas / clenched teeth photography
http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography

http://www.mailbox.gr ÁðïêôÞóôå äùñåÜí ôï ìïíáäéêü óáò e-mail.
http://www.thesuperweb.gr Website ìå ÁóöáëÝò Controlpanel áðü 6 Euro êáé äþñï ôï domain óáò!