Re: Optimizing Performance of PS ( info only)

from Kosas, who had a fight with his computers mail program :-)

>it certainly is a very good and very effective program but the learning
>curve is steep and the user interface not quite as intuitive as I found
>Neatimage
>Karl

well i personnaly find Meatimage too simple and less flexible.
indeed in order to get the proper idea of how SGBNR works, requires a lot of
tries twinking each parameter individually then observing the result in
preview each time, but my efforts were paid back wiht gain

Also i have noticed that for the same amount of grain reduction, neat gives
a bit softier image.

on the other hand i had a very good luck of polishing up (for magazinbe use
!) an already SGBNR corrected a photo with Neat and in the default settings
too, so at least for color photos i will be resorting to a combo package

2 good tips for the prospective SGBNR user

take good care with the "edges protection" feature...applying changes the
final image requiring a different main correction than when it is off.

perform level correction on the image before inputing in SGBNR (maybe works
for the NEAT too), especially teh dark regions.The idea is the the app
replaces pixels in a color similar to that of the neighbooring ones,infact
lowering contrast, but if you want to keep some sharpness wou will not go
all the way, so the moment you touch the brightness/contrast/levels again
you'll end up increasing the contrast and partially undoing the correction.
Since i work grainy B&W concert shots i do not touch up the lower values
(almost black) regions much. i do that in another way....i magic wand select
them & feather them, the i apply twice the blur more filter and then i lower
the brightness (usually around -6 units with equal contrast
lowering)

best of luck, kostas

_________
http://www.mailbox.gr ÁðïêôÞóôå äùñåÜí ôï ìïíáäéêü óáò e-mail.