Re: Emily's Review

John Mason <profmason@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>Love the concept but what's that strange gray area
>>between the nose and fiddle scroll?  Seems like maybe
>
>>you took something out with the clone stamp but then
>>didn't replace it with something logical to the
>>scene.
>
> Thanks, Em.  The grey blob is the result of darkening
> a completely blown out highlight.
>
> Any suggestions for handling it with more finesse (Em
> or anyone else)?  I wouldn't want to clone in anything
> false.  I'd prefer to treat the highlight more or less
> as I would in a chemical darkroom.

Well, of course anything you do will be "false", since "completely
blown out" means there's no information in that part of the image
now.

I've found adding some noise can help a lot to make a toned down blown
highlight look less fake.  Exact amounts, and getting the mask right,
are kinda tricky and require considerable hand-work.
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Photos: <dd-b.lighthunters.net>  Snapshots: <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>