Tungsten Film at Sunset

Robert G. Earnest wrote:

More interestingly to me would be to ask if in fact you would load an entire roll of tungsten film into your camera to shoot a sunset?

I do this frequently, particularly for a portrait at sunset/rise. I almost always finish off rolls during sessions, so I rarely end up with half a roll of tungsten stuck in my camera or end up processing just half of an expensive roll of film.

And!
If you were attracted to a sunset in the first place, why would you be inclined to "correct" its colours?

inquiring minds want to know...

I want to correct its colors because usually they are too warm. (If it is early sunset or late sunrise though, color temperature can be acceptable.) Beyond that, morning/evening light has other desirable qualities not related to temperature.

It's weaker, creating low contrast lighting conditions, so more detail can be captured in the shadows and mid tones without blowing out the highlights or blocking up the shadows. A more precise way to put it, is that the tonal variation present in the real world more closely matches the tonal range that film can capture.

Also the shapes of the shadows cast at these times of day are usually more interesting than those from mid day. This makes composing shots easier and the results more striking for the viewer.

I also enjoy being outside at these times of day, as many people do. You wouldn't know it from my 'plastic' photo submissions to the gallery, but I shoot a fair amount of nature photography. In the summer months shooting in the heat of the day can be miserable and make for a cranky, impatient photographer. So I find that for psychological reasons, I shoot better at sunset/sunrise.

Cheers,
Shawna
http://lightwriting.net