Advice on digital camera

Hi everyone!

I've been monitoring this listserv for a while but have now decided to ask my question. I would like some advice on which digital camera to buy. I have the old Canon Powershot A40, which I like, but it needs to be upgraded. I also have the Canon 300 (Rebel in USA) with a couple of cheap lenses. I've been thinking of upgrading to the Canon 300D (or Digital Rebel), but I still think it is too expensive. So, my question is, what digital camera would you recommend in the price category somewhere under $500?

I have some candidates like Fuji FinePix S7000, Canon G5 and G3, Nikon Coolpix 5700, Minolta 7Hi, Olympus C-5050 and C-5060, but I might very well forgotten someone. From what you read, all have their pros and cons. I don't care about the size, what I do care about is the image quality (of course). Low f-stops, good zoom and macro is a plus.

Sincerely,

Klas Hjelm
(from Sweden, currently studying in USA)