Re: Back to Basics: Camera Holding

When reading this, I can´t help thinking of the Czech photographer Josef Sudek. He lost one arm in WWI, and yet he later became an outstanding photographer (one of the best in the world IMHO). He used mainly view cameras (he only made contact prints), which he carried around Prague and its surroundings. He managed to pull the dark slides of his sheet film cassettes with his teeth. I´ve often wondered however he managed to load the cassettes and to process the film sheets with only one arm (I find that quite a challenge using two hands).

Sudek died in 1976. More info, and some of his photographs, can be found at

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~sawyer/Sudek.htm

Per Öfverbeck http://foto.ofverbeck.se