RE: Back to Basics: Camera Holding

Hi All,

Actually I have often taught my students how to hold a camera. I have
also had at least two students that only had one hand/arm to shoot with.
One had very little forearm on which to rest the camera, and the other
had only one arm. Very difficult for all kinds of reasons.

The basic grip I teach also stems from weapons training. It uses the
left had cradling the bottom of the camera with the thumb on the left
side of the lens and the index finger on the right side of the lens with
the camera bottom resting lightly across the palm of the left hand. The
right hand grips the camera around the grip and the right index finger
rests in the area of the shutter release. This way you can shoot
verticals by just rotating the camera counter clockwise 1 quarter turn.
I always shoot with an extra grip on the bottom of my cameras.

Les