Gallery Impressions

I gazed into the images I found at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html and this is what I saw.

Jeff Spirer (Red) - So that's how they make chicken burgers! 1. Step on chicken and remove insides. 2. Wash in soapy water. 3. Place in green bucket. 4. Mix with a bit of Chi. 5. Place in red buck and add a cup of Tiger. 6. Form into patties and air dry. Even with all that carnage I don't find the shot that dramatic and I'm lookin' for drama these days. Perhaps its the bright colors which the title suggests are the point of the shot.

Achal Pashine (Tufa island, South shore of Mono Lake) - The serenity is overpowering. Viewing this image as I type makes the sound of the keys seem deafening. I really like the contrast in form between the rocks and the wispy clouds above and behind them. Beautiful scene. Beautiful color. Simple border but the drop shadow on your name seems to draw attention away from the image because it's nearer me than the image. I would prefer no shadow.

WRGill (Low Tide at Pacific Grove, California) - There is precious little sense of depth except for the wee little boat. The noon time light and a long lens pile the rocks up like a wall. I like the color combination but again I sense no drama although a coast like that seems like it should be crammed full of dramatic ship wrecks and crab fights.

C J R Strevens (Into the light) - An interesting scene but for me the shot is ruined by camera placement. The camera is not parallel to the face of the far building which is causing the sidewalk and the transition area where the shadows start appear unlevel. They may in fact be sloped but it bothers me. I do a lot of this kind of shot and I've been disappointed many times by those little details. It may be just my anal nature but with geometric subjects like this I prefer to see all the lines behaving properly.

Emily L. Ferguson (Just a little cold snap!) - Geese, don't you Codders bring in your summer furniture in the winter? The colors in this image are less saturated than I would expect for this subject. Did you forget the polarizer at home? I would like it better without the intruding trees but this shot does not fulfill my need for drama either.

Leslie Spurlock (Schoolgirl) - Beautiful look on her face. I'm not a fan of the low light angle and I seem to see that lighting a lot lately. The complex catch lights drew me to her eyes and then I noticed the white speck above her right eye and now that draws my attention like a beacon. Too bad you would never clone something out of an image because it doesn't look like it was actually on her face.

Dan Mitchell (Garden) - Dan, couldn't you just lean over the fence or move back to include more of it? As it is, it looks like randomly sized triangles with no real attachment to the scene. And the whole image seems to be leaning to the left. I do like the brick building as backdrop to the walk but I would crop the right hand side so you don't see past the edge of the building.

Andrew Davidhazy (Stroboscopic Exercise) - You have had strobocam shots in the gallery before but I don't think this particular one. The other shot(s) seemed to flow better. Not your fault but the model's movements were more fluid. I certainly admire the technical aspect of the shot though. Have you ever had your models spin around so much that they throw up? That would be a really cool shot.

So endeth my input.

Greg Fraser
"Things are never what they seem" - Vlad
http://users.imag.net/~lon2251/Gallery