Re: Is it there yet?

> I am taking a digital photography class. We had to read a paper that I
> consider to be practically eons old. Included in the article was the
> statement that digital photography is "not there yet."
>
> I disagree.
>
> I want to rebut that statement. But what do you all think? Is digital
there
> yet? Any comments would be appreciated, and may wind up as a quote in my
> rebuttal paper.

The photojournalist who has access to first world technology and power will
find the digital medium a boon, as will amateurs and those who have the need
to transmit visual images over vast distances in the shortest possible time.
For those who manipulate or create images, either montaging or starting from
scratch, digital again stands head and shoulders over conventional film
based photography.

The resolution is there, the image manipulation software is there, the
computer speeds are there and to this end digital photography is there..
with the qualifier 'for these people'.

For the photojournalist confronted with  no power, a hostile environment or
long periods away from a support network the digital media may prove
inadequate and  film based technology may have distinct advantages.  For
those who have no need of dramatic image modifications and who rely on the
expertise of a conventional printer to render their negatives into a
viewable print format while they spend their time as a photographer making
images, digital offers no benefit.  For the amateur confused by emerging and
constantly changing standards and technologies, digital holds little appeal
and a great deal of confusion.

Just as the question was posed years ago in the film-only era as to which
format was the 'best', there is no straightforward answer to the film or
digital question,as it depends entirely on the requirements of the image
maker.  I'll return to this, and the question of format later.

Cost is a concern, where once pro photographers took a great deal of
convincing before they would invest in a professional camera, often a
'system camera' (many opted for a number of semi-pro cameras instead) in the
digital world photographers seem to have no reservations when it comes to
investing many many thousands of dollars in cameras they know will be
redundant in the near future, nor do they shy away from spending large sums
in purchasing and upgrading regularly, the computers, software and printers
required to take full advantage of digital imaging.  Storage media, storage
devices, archiving devices, image management software - all are costs which
the enthusiastic digital photographer seem willing to bear.  This is in
stark contrast to the earlier time when film was the only medium on offer,
and when photographers who often yearned for the quality of medium and large
formats felt deterred by the price.  As an aside, few digital photographers
will pass down cameras as working heirlooms - a practice which still occurs
among film photographers.

There is the matter of image preservation to consider, conventional film has
long been known to offer considerable life, and recent revelations breaking
down some of the photographic myths have shown great longevity does not
always require exceptional effort in processing technologies.  Digital may
serve a photographer whose images are 'disposable' (and such photographic
needs exist) but expectations over the preservation of digitally stored
images, or indeed any digitally stored material, are often unrealistic and
to date no guaranteed long-life storage exists.

In the NIST Special Publication 500-252 "Information Technology: Care and
Handling of CD's and DVD's - A Guide for Librarians and Archivists", by Fred
R. Byers from the link we find a comment on the preservation of digital
media:

"If the software currently used to interpret the data .. becomes
unavailable, a migration or emulation technology will be needed to access
the data.  Also if the current .. technology becomes unavailable, the
information will become inaccessible.  Film and paper are much more stable
(than CD's magnetic tape and DVD's) in this regard, as the human language
does not change as rapidly as computer software, or the media format.  "Ink
on paper" for example, has been used for centuries, and film has not changed
significantly over the years.

The Importance of ensuring that information can be read by future
generations cannot be overstated.  .. The computer user "industry standard"
for data storage on removable digital media has changed considerably over
the past few decades.. digital media used as recently as 20 years ago are
already incompatible with most of today's systems."  Such statements suggest
digital image *storage* may have some way to go before photographers can be
content that their digitally created images will survive the passage of
time.

The 'truthfulness' of images created digitally has been brought into
question as an argument against digital - this I believe is a futile
argument, as film image manipulation has been with us since the beginning,
but it does lead to the matter of how many generations removed a digital
image may be from the original.  Where once film users who exposed
transparency film held that their film images were 'first generation' and as
such had advantages over 'second generation' negative film users, digital
may be many times removed from the original.  Scanning images may introduce
scanner profiles and image 'tweaks' at the scanning stage, additional
adjustment post scanning, additional profiles modifying the image based on
monitor calibration and finally a host of print profile adjustments before
the printer it's self readjusts the image for the final print.  For those
who rely on their images being viewed on computers, no control is offered as
to how the image will be viewed on the other side of the world.  Will the
monitor be corrected, will these images be viewed as the photographer
intended?  Film photographers who print images may have substantially more
control over the way their work is viewed.

It is true that digital images offer a repeatability that film and paper
users can only yearn after, and analogue reproduction offers an introduction
of variables at every stage, but output of the digital image can also offer
variables in reproduction.  The issue of colour fidelity is also an
intriguing one with digital sensory in camera being fixed.  The film
photographer has a choice of a wide selection of film stocks offering known
and testable colour variations, the digital photographer can only rely on
software to change the image characteristics.  The nuances of such software
is often beyond the understanding of many, with the functions being simply a
mystery that the digital photographer must simply trust in conjunction with
their memory to be providing accurate output.

Returning to the matter of format.  Photographers who studied the subject
may recall an example photograph of a dice where a single frame was exposed
on 35mm format showing only the upper surface of the dice.  Another
photograph was produced to compare and contrast this, an image made by a 4x5
camera showing not only the upper surface, but also all 4 sides of the dice.
Larger formats add a 'dimensionality' that while almost imperceptible,
almost intangible, it is still there nonetheless.  Larger formats offer a
'depth' to a portrait, a 'spatial feel' to a landscape which 35mm, 110 and
smaller formats cannot, they remain 'flat'.  Resolution has often been the
only standard by which the digital camera manufacturers choose to be judged,
and clearly they win on this count with some of the newer cameras, but on
some of the less obvious elements they offer nothing.  Macro photographs
with massive depth of field bring distracting elements - a 'busyness' to
images where the key subject would be better shown isolated.  Larger formats
can erase this problem.  However in contrast, for those photographers
seeking to maximise their depth of field, digital cameras with small sensors
and high resolving power can be a distinct advantage.

Until reasonably priced portable larger format cameras are available,
digital photography remains for many applications in it's infancy .  Before
camera manufacturers invest in more robust, more durable designs, less
complicated controls, more surety in the longevity of the storage, lower
power consumptions - digital photography still has room to advance.

For some it is already at a point where it is more than they could desire -
it is 'there', but not for everyone, not yet.