Re: Is it there yet?

Digital Photography is here to stay, but so is the analog process. Look at those of us who still labor away making your own emulsions! We don't do this because newer technologies make an inferior image, we do it because we like the idiosyncrasies that our chosen process adds to the finished artifact.

The best example I can think of off the top of my head is an exhibit I saw as a student in Savannah, about 10 years ago: It was a show full of 4 x 6-foot color prints made from negatives shot by a disc camera. Remember those? They have an image area of about half a centimeter on a side! Blowing it up made for a very grainy image. But the process was showing itself off in the art, and it made the art better. Additionally (and more to the point of your question), Images made with a first-generation one megapixel digital camera are no less "art" than something made with a $50,000 digital camera with the latest imaging technology.

Does the process you choose enhance the expression of your personal vision, or hinder it? All other discussions about "superiority in color, detail, and resolution" are moot. If those arguments were the only ones to be made, we'd have thrown out Monet's and Van Gogh's paintings the moment someone like Rosenquist came along. The point is: all of these artists expressed their emotions, feelings, pain, desires, etc. in equally valid ways; the style and the media are just vessels that carry the water of our artistic expression.

-Alan Bucknam