Re: Is it there yet?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Zinn" <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>

| Rand,
|
| Side to side comparisons will turn up pluses for each mode depending on
| use.  I think before making a comparison between digital and film
| photography you need to go back to basics. I've given a lot of thought to
| this lately because too many discussions of digital v. film completely
| ignore THE important distinction.  That is that digital is a virtual
record
| and film is a material record.  The very idea of photography (call it it's
| mystique) is in large-part based on the materiality of its record.  For me
| the distinction is essential to how to think about art photography.
|
| AZ

Alan,

What an intriguing reply! The mystique is based on the materiality of the
record. That is an interesting concept.

I can almost understand that concept when thinking about old photographs
that have survived from years ago. The delicate nature of their very
existence does seem to add to their aura. I am having a conceptual problem
understanding how it applies to art photography. Would you care to put forth
more of your thoughts? You have certainly captured my interest with your
note.

pax,

rand