Re: Gallery review (Per)

No red filter here...it was either one of the following:  polarizer filter, or what I've learned to be called using the zone system to get your shadows black...it was very bright that morning and I think a cloud shadow on the rock is far more responsible for camouflaging the cliff into the sky...but you're absolutely right, it is sort of a black hole that sucks your attention away...maybe a little dodging in the darkroom (it's about high time i started to play with those techniques, i've only been using a darkroom for 4 months now) is in order

Elgenper <elgenper@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Another week, another bunch of opinions...

Gary Colnar, Regal Theater: A truky "Disneylandish" image. Not my cup
of tea, normally, but this one has an Art Deco flavour I rather like.

Achal Paschine, Sunrise: One word: quiet. Want to be there...

Trevor Cunningham, Wadi Rum: A rum one alright... Very difficult to
make it out at first. Did you use a red filter? A lighter one would
have kept the sky lighter, and the image would have gained, I think.

Leslie Spurlock, Faith and Hope: What I really like about the two pics
Les has shown, is the wonderful light and the general feeling of good
old B/W photojournalism, almost Gene Smith-ish. What detracts are
details that are visually unexplained, like the hairpins in last week´s
image, and that scarf tie in this one. As others have said, keep on
shootin´... You´re on the right track, sure.

Jim Davis, Success: Top notch job (1/2000th and be there...). Most
wildlife photogs would be jealous abot this one.

Johnny Mason, "UFO": To me, looks more like a frying pan with goggles,
but then I´m a firm non-believer in these matters.

Rubin Diehl, Wild Flower: Good composition. Would have been improved
by softer light, I think.

Emily Ferguson, Jack came to visit: Well, old Jack Frost has been busy
here in Sweden too... Like the curves, but I can imagine the scan lost
lots of the glitter; this must be a scanner´s absolute nightmare...

Kostas Papatokas, Irony: Now, without the extensive discussion, I would
probably never even have noticed that other photographer, and I still
can´t se it as much of an irony, only a funny incident. Without the
story, I´m afraid i just see another tourist snap among millions.

William Downey, C-47 Ghost: Golly, I thought it was a DC-3 (don´t kill
me...). Anyhow, you sure succeded in getting a timeless feeling about
it.

Andrew Davidhazy, Figure: Just found her older sister on the cover of
Gruber´s Imaginary Photo Museum.. ;-) That one is a solarization by
Man Ray, and Andy´s image also takes me back to the period of
photo-graphics (Ray, Bayer, Hajek-halke). Not a bad company, really..

OK, that´s it. Just an answer to those wo asked about my contribution:
the product (not) advertised was... water treatment expertise!

Per Öfverbeck
http://foto.ofverbeck.se

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham

Do you Yahoo!?