Re: HI

At 08:46 AM 1/28/04 +0900, you wrote:
Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>Norton's nails viruses for me.  My ISP is a university and they do a fairly
>good job. I don't do web mail so no Outlook Express.  I hadn't had a virus
>alert in months until today. They must have snuck in via PF member's post.

Oh ho ho ho ho.  Your attitude is exactly why viruses flourish.
Nothing personal Alan, this is how many people get viruses.

The fact is, the there is a virus that very likely resides on your
computer right now. It bypasses anti virus programs. It hides itself
by erasing it's own incoming after it's established.

I would suggest you do some reading on the Norton site. Run their
online checker. It's not enough to upgrade your AV software anymore or
even to have the latest version running at all times. You really need
to do some file checking of your own. Really.

Here's what I do, simple an easy and foolproof.

I DO NOT RUN ANY ATTACHMENTS BUT JPG or TXT.

Even a Word DOC can have a virus.

And those long filenames can fool you. Make sure you see the last
three letters.

On top of all this, I only run JPG or TXT that I'm expecting, not
something out of the blue.

Carry on. I don't need no stinking AV program.

Jim,

I agree that opening attachments of any kind is risky. My rule is to only open jpegs from friends who mention the attachment in the text message. I dump cookies and do disk clean-ups fairly often. I don't use any Windows messaging programs. BTW did I understand correctly - I don't know who said it - that longer email addresses are less vulnerable to spam attack?

AZ

Build a Lookaround! The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed. NOW SHIPPING http://www.panoramacamera.us