photoshop question

There are probably better places to ask this question but I don't know
who they are so I'll ask it here.

I'm working in Photoshop 7, I go to Image Ready to optimize my image.
I make my setting adjustments and save the file.
I go back to Photoshop to see the image.
The file size is the same as it was before.
I got Windows Explorer to see the file size and it shows a new, smaller
file size.

My question is: Why isn't that new, smaller file size showing up in the
Photoshop status bar?

Any ideas? I've been all over the web looking for answers and in to many
of my books...all with no explaination.

Help!
Lea

Lea Murphy