RE: PF List Exhibits 12-27-03

Not many reviews this week, I know you're all busy, so here's my
thoughts on this week's image:

Dan Mitchell - Winter Scene
Dan, you can send a larger image, this is just too small to
appreciate. Even then, it's a nice image. Overall, it's just a bit
disjointed, with elements not quite fitting, slightly out of place. I
would have gone over to the left for this shot.

Pablo Coronel - Frozen vines
I would have preferred only the frozen branches, the dark area at the
bottom seems a bit heavy. A difficult subject this. As well, the
dynamic range seems a bit high, there are no real blacks. Now as to
the vines - the top bits seem to be tree branches, are those vines in
the dark area at the bottom?

D.L. Shipman - Moon over Englewood 2003
Nice sharp shot of a really full moon. Did you just buy a telescope or
something?

Shawna Hanel - Happy New Year!
Oh dear. I'm afraid I really dislike all these shots of garbage. This
is a nice shot of garbage though, if that's possible. At least the
blues are pleasant.

Bob Talbot - Prisoner
Sorry Bob, I don't like this one. It doesn't have a clear enough
subject. Oh well, I guess you just threw this one out there to see
what people said about it. I can't think of anything else to say about
it, sorry.

Laurenz Bobke - Sunset at the Summer Palace
Well, this one is a bit better than last week's - it at least has a
subject. I dunno though, I just think it needs more detail around the
black areas, or something more. As is, it doesn't do anything for me.

John Palcewski - Maria: Sophia Lorens Daughter?
Is that M.M.'s nose?

John Mason - Messiah Sing-In,
Ok, nice image - although I'd like to have the music paper appear more
realistic. It looks like it might have been composited afterwards.
Perhaps a bit of shading or angle to it would have helped. Also, it
would have been nice to get a bit more detail in the very black
shadows.

Pini Vollach - Tallinn
My nomination for photo of the week. Although the wall on the right
should either be cropped out, or more shown of it. I think you could
crop out a really nice vertical image here.

That's it - a bit depressing, but that's the way I see them.
--
Jim Davis
Nature Photography