Re: Thoughts on PF List Exhibits 20 DEC 03

At 11:24 AM 12/21/2003 -0700, you wrote:
Forum members,

Here are my thoughts on the PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space now on
display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html:

D.L. Shipman - "Danaus plexippus, Monarch Butterfly"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/shipman.html
A most excellent photograph of the female (?)  plexippus! ..........

Shipman also emphasizes the color of the plexippus by his choice of color on
the flowers where the insect is resting. ......

This textbook photo belongs in a textbook.

rand

Thank you for your comments! I can not take much credit for the pose or the flower color because they were pretty much up to the butterfly. I have noticed though that blue flowers seem to be attractive to the wee beasties. The back ground in the image is a stuccoed concrete block foundation located about six feet behind the flower bed. It is naturally out of focus because I used a Canon 75-300 IS lens at 300mm. That produced a limited depth of field and allowed me to stay far enough away to freely move about and take ten or fifteen exposures without disturbing the subject.

Again, thank you for your kind comments.

Dave
East Englewood