Re: Gallery Reviews: "Eternity" - how the PHOTO was taken.

> Collage would be a 2D subset of assemblage I suppose, included but
> with its own more precise term. Unless you were considering 4D
> assemblages, of course - like the universe itself.

Andrew

Ain't the web wonderful:
http://www.wordspy.com/words/HumptyDumptylanguage.asp
Humpty Dumpty language
noun. An idiosyncratic or eccentric use of language in which the
meaning of particular words is determined by the speaker.

A passage from Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking Glass":

   "There's a collage for you!"
   "I don't know what you mean by 'collage' " Alice said.
   Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't-till I
tell you. I meant 'there's a photogrgraph!' "
   "But 'collage' doesn't mean 'photograph' " Alice objected.
   "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone,
"it means just what I choose it to mean-neither more nor less."
   "The question is, " said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so
many different things."
   "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty. "which is to be
master-that's all."

We can argue for ever about the meaning of words.  Next time your
child says they will be making a collage at school, offer to lend them
your camera.  Their response will tell you more than any amount of
semantic discussion here.

Bob