Re: comments/reviews, etc. re: photographs in PF exhibits

> Let's be thankful for the time, effort and words _anyone_puts in
when
> commenting about any photograph included in the exhibits. This is
first and
> foremost. Next, be happy for both positive and negative feedback.
Especially
> about negative feedback since this is sometimes significantly harder
to put
> into words than positive.

Andy

All feedback is welcome, by me anyway.
That is, feedback from people without a personal agenda!!!

This week for instance I valued Rich's comment as much of any of the
others (bar one).
"How much of this is actually photographic? Doesn't do much for me."

1) "How much was photographic?" - phrased as a question.
- Well, I answered that by putting up the page showing how ...
ATEOTD how it was made is irrelavent to the viewer - if not to the
author.

2) "Doesn't do much for me." - simple statement of personal taste.
Fine, no problem with that.
No problem either with someone outright hating an image.

> Feedback and comments are simply that. One person's opinion. These
> opinions are not or should not be subject for "argument" or
question.
Well, personally I've never minded "clarification".

In a club scenario [not that I'm a member of one any more]  it's very
bad form to
bitch about a visiting judge (until they've gone home ;o).  Here
though there has
always been an amount of come-back. I welcome that: it at least
confirms
someone is reading the stuff.

I agree though, there is a world of difference
between a reply and a rebuttal.

> Otherwise feedback will dry up and only comments of mediocre value
> are bound to remain.

a - "you get what you pay for", sadly.
b - "Ye shall reap what ye shall sow"
c - "do unto others ..."

> Delight in diversity. Don't attack the messenger. If you don't like
> some comment or another it is best to not engage questioning
> the validity of some comment but rather best to compare that
> evaluation with that of others and learn from a group of responses.
Fully agree.
It's why I don't submit images to most web forums: there is almost
nothing to be learned from half a dozen "WOW"s when it seems every
image only gets "WOW".   The balance ...

For me an image that even ONE person *really* likes has achieved
something no matter how many honestly hate it.
Translated to sales I'd rather have one single person want to buy a
print than everyone think it's just "nice"

> In my opinion it is not worth providing feedback if one's opinions
> are attacked. Why should I do so? Got enough troubles in my off-list
> life I don't need more aggravation.
Exactly! !!!
I can empathise with you on that.
When it ceases to be fun, don't do it.
Sadly that does not always apply to the "day job" but it certainly
applies to participating in mailing lists ...

Bob