Re: Neatimage sample - or too much free time...

wildimages@lineone.net wrote/replied to:

>You shot this at 1/750 sec.  It's hardly an IS test then is it (on a "400mm"
>lens).   At 1/250 sec I would expect to get sharp non-IS images at 420mm
>every time -
>ithout a tripod but bracing the lens against fence, beanbag
>(IMO better than tripod) etc.
>Obviously IS should make that better.

Well, squatting along the edge of the water, there was nowhere to lean
the camera no place to put a beanbag. I'd love to see you handhold at
640mm at 1/750th in high winds without IS.

>The aperture is odd too: F6.7.  An artistic decision?

One half stop from wide open f5.6.

>Obviously F2.8 would have disadvantages (keeping the beak and
>ye in focus).

Definitely, f5.6 is pushing it at 640mm.

> I'd probably have shot at f4-f5.6 anyway. No, if I could swap my non IS
>300 for  an IS one I would.  Sadly cost is *the* ISsue.

To be honest, I could have shot at f5.6, gone down a half stop in
shutter speed and lowered my ISO. I prefer to keep from wide open,
keep my shutter speed high, and the ISO difference doesn't really show
up.

>PS.  I have tried IS versions of big lenses.  What I didn't like was a perceptible
>delay ...

Yes, when you half press the shutter, the IS takes a half second to
activate. I rarely actually shoot a shot less than half a sec after
putting my eye to viewfinder but I have learned to thumb the shutter
button even before my eye gets to the finder therefore it's not an
issue.

>PPS  Is there a "quality vs ISO" page for the D10 up anywhere?
>Fancy putting one up?

Yes, in fact this morning I took a duck's portrait at 400 and for the
heck of it went to ISO 100. This should give you an idea of the
difference between 100, the lowest noise and 400, such as on the Egret
shot.

Jim Davis
- checkout the Motorcycle Headlight Relay Kit at:
http://jimdavis.oberro.com/html/bike_acc_.html