Re: Neatimage sample - or too much free time...

<<<
Now I'd have liked to have shot this at ISO 100, but it wasn't going to
happen. Especially on a windy day. Not only was the wind blowing my lens,
but the birds feathers were blowing.

Well, I wasn't going to mention IS because
1) It's pret
y good technology when used to improve good technique rather
than replace it ;o)
2) As everyone knows (apart from the majority of IS users I read online)
the "IS effect" only applies to static elements in the scene.  It does not
freeze subject move
ent (eg your wind on the heron's feathers :)

What was the ISO again?
Ah, 400.  On film that's not as sharp anyway.

You shot this at 1/750 sec.  It's hardly an IS test then is it (on a "400mm"
lens).   At 1/250 sec I would expect to get sharp non-IS images at 420mm
every time -
ithout a tripod but bracing the lens against fence, beanbag
(IMO better than tripod) etc.
Obviously IS should make that better.

The aperture is odd too: F6.7.  An artistic decision?
Obviously F2.8 would have disadvantages (keeping the beak and
ye in focus).
 I'd probably have shot at f4-f5.6 anyway. No, if I could swap my non IS
300 for  an IS one I would.  Sadly cost is *the* ISsue.

Bob

PS.  I have tried IS versions of big lenses.  What I didn't like was a perceptible
delay ...

PPS  Is there a "quality vs ISO" page for the D10 up anywhere?
Fancy putting one up?
Same scene, same aperture at 100, 400 3200 ... needs to be a staged shot
(tripod mounted for fairness ;o) as obviously a real bird is never in exactly
the same pose.

I'm interested in the "noise" you talk about.