Review of gallery for 11/29/03

Back in action, if just a little jet-lagged.

1.  Per Ofverbeck - Hammarlunda

Nice exposure with good contrast, the shadows of the ladder are very
effective.  Not much else to say, like the image.

2.  Pini Vollach - ?

Another nicely exposed picture.  Other than that it's not that exciting, a
closeup of the graffiti on the building might give it a little more
"personality."  The building also appears to be tilted, or maybe it was the
photographer.

3.  Christopher Strevens - Junction Near Clapham Junction

Not an exciting photo, but they all can't be.  The highlights are somewhat
blown out.  The cars in the foreground are distracting, maybe moving a
little forward would help isolate the street and the buildings.

4.  Emily L. Ferguson - Tatoosh

Sounds like it might be in Turkmenistan.  For some reason I like this photo,
although I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's the yellow tint (used to see a lot of
that in LA).  It's too contrasty and the dead center horizon is not
particularly effective, although it is level.  I do like the lighthouse as a
point of reference, though.

5.  Achal Pashine - Golden Gate, SF

Generally good exposure although the foreground is muddy and a little over
exposed.  The tree in front of the bridge is distracting.  Otherwise I like
it.

6.  WRGill - Sunset at Pescadero Point, Pebble Beach, CA

Nice composition, but a little boring.  Way underexposed!  The histogram is
well off to the left.  Either open your lens a little more or increase your
exposure time.

7.  Scott Thurmond - Blue Morpho (morpho didius)

I was using this mounted specimen as a test subject when I got my 10D (it
was gracious enough to hold still).  Unfortunately, I didn't do the
mounting.  A gentleman named Chris Marley,
http://galleryoffunctionalart.com/marley.shtml, who has a gallery in Hermosa
Beach, CA, creates these beautiful art pieces.  Oh yes, the Blue Morpho is
not an endangered species, as far as I know.

8.  Bob Talbot - Evidence

Mr. Talbot (he of the multiple personalities and the profound identity
crises) has created an intriguing who-done-it.  Are we to believe that
somehow a smoking shore bird (or is that a fecal mass?) is involved in a
dastardly crime.  Pray tell where is body, there is no blood in evidence.
Please, we need a few more clues!  Other than that, Bob, I'm not excited
about this image, although it is in focus and well exposed.

9.  Laurenz Bobke -  ?

As Laurenz noted, this is not the best scan.  It's also overexposed and
contrasty.  The sky and mountain lack detail. and the foreground should be
cropped.  Looks like you exceeded the exposure latitude for your film.

10. Shawna Hanel - Blue Dot Center

Nice blue gradation, other than that it doesn't do much for me.

11. Jim Davis - Is This the Matrix

Can't say much about this shot, although I do wish I could that with my 10D.
Maybe a less tightly focused shot would be more effective.

12. Veli Cigirgan - Looking out...

I like the feeling of the photograph.  It gives the impression of a weary
traveler.  The exposure is a bit problematic, too little contrast and the
red of the woman's jacket should "pop" a little more.  I also can't figure
out what's going on with the streaks in the sky.  It's all empty space so
you probably should crop it out.

My favorite this week is Per's "Hammarlunda."  Thanks to everyone who
contributed.  As usual, I've ignored all the other reviews before doing my
own.

Scott (who needs another Grog)