RE: PF Galleries on 11/22/03

I dunno, Greg, about photographing people you don't know. Certainly, I agree, there are a lot of non-literal components in photographing people you know and many more in photographing those you treasure.

And it seems more difficult to become the voyeur behind the viewfinder when it's someone for whom you have strong feelings. There have been great quantities of years when I've taken no photographs at all because I didn't want to remove myself from the situation far enough to get behind the viewfinder.

Perhaps that's what gives such momentum to the snapshot crowd - sort of a halfway point between being in the situation and being a voyeur.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@cape.com