"perspective item

Bob,

I think that at the extreme you mention things very well will not follow
thin-lens image relationships. However, just for the sake of also proving this
to myself I photographed a scene looking down a long corridor both at a wide
angle setting and a telephoto setting on a Nikon 990. Then I cropped the image
made with the wide angle setting in PS to match the edge features of the scene
around the periphery of the image made with the  telephoto setting. Then I
reduced the file size of the image made at this setting to match that of the
one at the wideangle setting and on lookng and measuring the doorframes and
fluorescent fixtures as they diminished in size into the distance the
measurements of near and far objects (and thus their ratios) in the two
photographes matched.

The lens in the Nikon is not a thin lens but in the context of the distance to
the objects in this case it might as well be. So I guess we don't disagree. But
then I am not so sure if we see eye to eye on this matter!   :)

I also have a "pet" situation BTW. This one relates to the ratio of blur size
to subject size being fixed at the time of exposure and standing behind the fact
that no more detail can be secured out of a image taken at the same shutter
speed of objects in motion by decreasing the focal length or increasing the
subject distance. Blur being fixed by exposure time.

oh, well ... c'est la vie!

Andy

BTW - for some reason my website has been visited by many in the last few
minutes. I wonder why that might be and by who!