Re: Review: PF Galleries on 11/8/03

In a message dated 11/11/03 4:36:33 PM Central Standard Time,
BobTalbot@st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk writes:

<< I already recorded I like your image.
 A shot of mine, taken on 35mm, I deliberately cropped square to give
 no space in front (for effect)
 http://www.st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk/tibet/mounts/framed_friends.htm

 Leaving the space ahead - which was uncluttered too -just looked too
 ordinary for me.

Bob-
I think for some reason I missed your review. I got a few emails that day
where people thanked you for the review or something, and I went to see if I
could find your review of mine, but I couldn't. I did get a good from someone, but
I don't think I saw your name attached. Sorry if I was mistaken. Anyway, I
loved this shot of yours. I think it works well. I also saw that someone had
mentioned in photojournalism that you are supposed to leave space in front of
where the person is looking most of the time. It seems to me that
photojournalists break most of the rules so much of the time, more so than alot of other
types of photographers. I think this rule breaking works so well in
photojournalism especially. For people not into photojournalism, they would probably think a
lot of the stuff they shoot is bad because of situations where they cut into
people so much as well as when they have an object or person in front that is
out of focus. But this is what works in pj. I don't stick to rules in
photography. I shoot what I like to shoot and am passionate about, and if people don't
like it, oh well. Photography is so subjective, I don't think there needs to
be any set rules. Just my 2 cents worth.

Leslie Spurlock
Leslie Scott Photography and Tours
http://www.lesliescottphotography.com
http://www.lesliescottphotography.com/phototours.htm