Crumpled Oil Slicks

Emily:

Beautiful and hilarious! What a challenge, to capture those colorful refractions in the plastic. Is that wrapping paper, or did you add colored lighting to secure color effect. Did you try crumpling the paper and focussing on some of the edges for texture? What a gas!

Would you believe such colors could come from a clear bag that once held photo corners with no special lighting? I wanted to make a picture that expressed the relationship between petroleum and plastic. I noticed that some plastics, when viewed through polarized lenses appear to be "oil slicked." I would be interested in knowing why/how this occurs.

I did try various amounts of crumpling. I found that the more crumpled the bag, the higher number of colors. The drawback being a lessening of intensity, perceived or real I don't know. I focused on the texture that was there. I even dropped bits of more "textured" plastic in the scene, because I felt that the viewer needed a little more context to sink their teeth into.

Thanks to all the reviewers :-)

Cheers,
Shawna
http://lightwriting.net