Re: Digital is a musing...................damn I crack my self up

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Talbot" <BobTalbot@st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk>

I  totally agree with everything you have said.

I never said jpegs were as good as saving the images as tiffs or raw.

When I am doing portraits I could get away with using raw
since it doesn't take forever to write and it does give a slighly
smaller file than a tif.

Again remember I am shooting performers who pose well and are
usually very anitmated.  This isn't a smile and say cheese sort of
photo sitting. So I can't wait forever for the camera to write to the card.

When I am shooting a show I need to have not only speed but
a large capacity storage media. I usually shoot close to 250-275
shots of s two act stage show. This is why I need to shoot in
Super High Quality Jpegs.  2240x1680 and either 1/2.7 or 1/4
compression. I can usually get about 90 or 120 shots on a 256 mgb
card depending on the compression. I always have three cards available.

If I had the money for a camera that would let me shoot rapidly
and have the storage for saving raw or tif's I would do it.

What I was getting really ticked off about was I felt like we were
driting towards the old argument of medium format vrs 35mm.

You know.....

35 mm (jpegs) are ok for snap shots but you have to use medium or large
format
(tif's or raw) to do serious work.

I am not arguing that raw or tifs are not better than jpegs.

Just don't tell me that I can't produce a quality product with a properly
exposed jpeg.

Every article/book I have ever read on digital has told me the same
thing....

"Don't shoot with the idea of fixing it in PS, get it right when you do the
original photo."

And that takes us back to my original posting..........................

I was asking what I was doing wrong.............

I wan't blaming the camera or the format or the lights.

I knew that I had done something wrong

I knew I could fix it in PS.........

But I would rather not have it happen again!

Hey and lets all keep smiling here........
We're all having fun.....
Right?

Hey I just fed the Cats and they are Fat and Happy!

Russ
R.E. Baker
Photography
rebphoto@pronetisp.net