Re: Digital is a musing...................damn I crack my self up

> The variable color balance was a case of having the White Balance
> set to Auto rather than a preset and putting to much light on the
backdrop.
> This would have happened regardless of what format I saved them as.
Personally, I would rather use Jim's workflow than yours for dealing
with the corrections. That's because I'm not a PJ and I don't do your
sort of shots.

> I mentioned in my first post that this is a correction that takes
two
> seconds to adjust in PS.
But you don't have access to the data to achieve the same result: the
in-camera software  has already ditched the bits it didn't think you
needed.  But if you are happy with the results, fine.

NOTE: For your purposes this may not be an issue.  For people wanting
the absolute best quality available it might be.  There is a myth
perpetuated by people that don't want the cost/aggravation of dealing
with hi-bit files that 8-bit files are as good.  It is a fallacy.

> Which I would have had to do regardless of how I saved them in the
camera.
> Also this was just an instance where I made the mistake.
We're back at the same point: your camera made a decision for you
based on what you told it.
In Jim's case (always save raw) the decision has not yet been made
irrevocably.  The choice of white balance mode is made at the time the
raw file is decoded: if rong, decode it again.  If you only download
the jpeg the data is already lost, permanetly.

> The lights and camera only do what I set them to
You really think you understand everything the camera is doing for you
;o)

The hardest thing for most of us camera users is that the makers don't
release the details of "how" the cameras work - it's all propriety BS.

Note2: this discussion has moved on from your intial problem (which
you appear to have solved).

Bob