Re: my new photo site

I have Flash installed on my computer, but I find that I mostly click on
"skip intro" before it even starts...
Of course, it's quite possible that I (and most of the other people on this
list) belong to a minority that just can't grasp the advantages of a new
technology?!
I hope this is not the case.

In my opinion, it's up to the webmaster of the site to target a special
audience.

I can build my website in Flash, or try to make it fully Navigator
4-compatible (not an easy task...).
I can have a wap-version (not likely for a photo gallery), target Mac or
Windows, or use special image formats that require a plugin only present on
1/1000 computers.
All these decisions exclude part of my audience.
If that's not a problem, fine.
However, then I shouldn't complain about the people who disagree with my
decision.

The easiest way of finding out would be a website that offers visitors a
choice between HTML and Flash.
Then, just consult your logfiles. If only a minority opt for traditional
HTML - forget about them!
If most visitors avoid Flash, - think again.
Personally, I'm trying to avoid Java, Javascript, Flash and all proprietary
formats.
My logfiles show many visitors with old browser versions, - so relying too
heavily on the newest CSS specifications wouldn't do either.
But then, you do not need much technology for presenting your pictures
online.

And, by the way, search engines *hate* Flash.
Most of my traffic comes from Google...

But back to http://www.aaphoto.go.ro/ : in my opinion, there are some really
outstanding photos there - especially in the landscape section.
By the way: I agree that a "true photograph" needs no "explanation" - but it
would be nice to know where it was taken...

Laurenz

Personal Plug: I created a new website myself a while ago and would be very
much interested in your feedback.
You find it at http://www.onlinephotogalleries.com/ .
I promise you: no Flash. no Java applets!
I designed the new site mainly to test a new programme (Fusion 7) and to
compare it to what I did with Homesite 4 and Dreamweaver 2. (
http://www.travelphoto.net/ )
The lack of control over the HTML code sometimes drives me crazy, but the
Fusion photo galleries are very easy to maintain.
So. I'm very much interested in your feedback!